Tree Canopy Fund
The timeline, applications, and instructions for 2015-2016 will be available by early March. Stay tuned …
About the Tree Canopy Fund
Concerned about the declining tree canopy in Arlington? We are too! So, in 2009 the Tree Canopy Fund (TCF), was launched after Arlington County Board approval in 2007 with the goals of arresting the decline and, restoring and increasing the County’s tree cover over time. Administered by ACE and the Arlington County Urban Forestry Commission (UFC), the fund provides grants to individuals and community groups to plant and maintain trees on private property. Since its inception, 1,213 trees have been planted!
“The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) appreciates taking part in the Tree Canopy Fund program, which provides us with the ability to beautify our properties with new trees. Planting these trees is something that normally would not fall within our means to do.”
Nina Janopaul, CEO/President, Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing
Grant applications can be for:
- Tree planting on private property, or
- Public education and outreach related to the stewardship of trees
- Maintenance to be performed on specific trees designated by Arlington County through their Champion Tree Program and Tree and Shrub Ordinance
- Civic and homeowner associations
- Community nonprofit organizations
- Civic service clubs
- School-related groups
- Ad hoc neighborhood groups
- Individuals (see #3 above)
- The TCF provides funds for planting trees with diameters of about two inches that, at maturity, will be large canopy trees.
- ACE and UFC reserve the right to reduce the scope and/or cost of any proposal.
- Grant applications will be accepted and approved once or twice a year, depending on the availability of funds.
Resources for Applicants:
- Arlington County – All About Trees
- Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Uses [Paperback] - Michael A. Dirr
- Dirr’s Hardy Trees and Shrubs: An Illustrated Encyclopedia [Illustrated Hardcover] – Michael A. Dirr
- Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines: A Guide to Using, Growing, and Propagating North American Woody Plants [Hardcover] – William Cullina
- Tree Photos and Fact Sheets:
- 2014 Tree Selection Guide: Right Tree, Right Place, Right Care